Over the years we’ve had many people ask us for ideas on how to introduce the content in the Every Victory Counts® manual to more people and how to incorporate it into their Parkinson’s support groups.
One of the ways we decided to help our community is to create the Every Victory Counts Curriculum. The curriculum includes an Instructor’s Guide and Learner’s Guide for nine sessions and is designed to be used in a variety of ways.
Think of it as a road map for facilitators. The curriculum includes helpful activities, discussion questions and worksheets that can serve as pit stops on your group’s journey while giving you the freedom to pick the pace and route best suited to your group’s needs. Short cuts and detours are welcome.
Topics covered include:
- Advocating for yourself and actively taking charge of your care
- Parkinson’s symptoms
- The mind-body connection
- Medical and surgical therapies
- Assembling a wellness team
- Exercise and nutrition
- Navigating your Parkinson’s with your care partner
- Reflecting on Moments of Victory®
Dr. Karen Jaffe, an Ob/Gyn and Every Victory Counts Curriculum facilitator who has been living with Parkinson’s since 2007, ran the curriculum in nine consecutive weeks in the fall of 2018. She loved the curriculum, saying, “As a whole, the class felt this was like a support group, only better. They got to know each other and learn a lot at the same time.”
Here are a few ways to use the curriculum:
- Volunteer to facilitate an Every Victory Counts group over a nine-week or nine-month period for members of your support group. Feel free to pick the order of sessions based on group interest.
- Have members of your support group vote on subjects they’d like to discuss and then print the materials for that individual session and provide a copy to each person to guide a group discussion.
- Use the curriculum as a complement to a Parkinson’s book club to further discussions on related topics.
- Offer to speak to various support groups in your area on the topics that most interest you and use the activities in the Learner’s Guide to engage participants.
- Go through the activities on your own as a way to assimilate the content of the Every Victory Counts manual more fully.
- Use the activities and worksheets to encourage and track support group members’ goals to live better with Parkinson’s.
The Every Victory Counts Curriculum is currently only available as a FREE digital download.
Request your complimentary Every Victory Counts Curriculum here. We will send you an email with a link to download both the Instructor’s and Learner’s Guides once you complete the form.
Can you think of any other ways to use the Every VIcTory Counts Curriculum?
Please share your ideas in the comments below.