Kathleen Donohue is a speech-language pathologist who works for Boulder Community Health’s Home Care Department. She’s been a speech therapist for 30 years and has been working with people with Parkinson’s for the past 10. In this video, she shares qualities of a good speech therapist and how to know you’re getting the right treatment for you.
Questions to ask your potential speech therapist:
- How frequently do you have people with Parkinson’s on your caseload?
- How many people with Parkinson’s have you treated in the last month? In the last year?
- Do you have any additional training in the area of Parkinson’s?
- What have you learned from treating people with Parkinson’s?
Qualities of a good speech therapist:
A good therapist will have:
- Good listening skills
- A desire to partner with you to develop goals
- The skills and experience to create a personalized solution for your unique situation
- A desire to break the mold to get you the help you need