New research has suggested that a compound often exuded by fungus could be linked to symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. The investigators say Parkinson’s has previously been linked to exposure of human-made toxins, but their findings show that biological compounds also have the potential to set off symptoms of the condition.
Through the use of fruit flies and human cell lines, researchers from Rutgers University in New Jersey and Emory University in Georgia found that a compound emitted by mold, called 1-octen-3-ol but more commonly known as mushroom alcohol, may be linked to defects in two genes involved in the creation and transportation of dopamine.
Researchers say a compound often emitted by mold, called 1-octen-3-ol, may be linked to symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
The findings of the study were published in the journalProceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Read the rest of the article at http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/268848.php